What should I ask when starting ABA?

If you are thinking about starting ABA for your child, you want to make sure you have made the right decision, both with ABA, and with the ABA provider.


Firstly, ensure the people providing the ABA are qualified to do so. Ensure they have the necessary qualifications from the Behaviour Analyst Certification Board. The person overseeing the programme should be a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst (BCBA), or a Board Certified Assistant Behaviour Analyst (BCaBA). The people providing the therapy could also have a recognised qualification – this is the Registered Behaviour Technician (RBT).

If you are unsure what ABA is, or what it looks like in action, ask. They will be able to explain this to you.

Ensure that the people providing ABA have experience working with children of the same age as your child, and similar ability level.

Explain the areas that you are looking for help in, and ask if this is something they can do, and how they would go about it.

Ask how they will keep you up to date with the progress your child is making. Can you observe sessions, or see videos of sessions? Will they train you, so you can help your child at home too?

Make sure you leave with all of your questions answered. You should have an idea in your head of what the next step is, how much it will cost, where the ABA will happen, who will provide it, and if they are qualified to do so.

Do you have any questions for us? Get in touch https://earlyactionforautism.co.uk/contact/